Wednesday, November 23, 2011

WARM AND DELICIOUS PUMPKIN LOAF WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING



This is truly an autumn treat. My friend passed on this recipe and now I make it every fall when we bring in the pumpkins, and so I thought I'd share it with you. On that note, I'm sorry for the lack of posts. November is not the most pleasant time for university students, but I certainly am glad to catch up on recipes.

I've included a great recipe for cream cheese frosting, but I tend not to spread it over the loaf as a whole as firstly, it has to stay in the fridge, and two, I like to warm a slice of pumpkin loaf and spread some butter on it. So good. Do try. Enjoy!

Fall Pumpkin Loaf
Recipe makes two loaves

Dry Ingredients
3 1/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves
3 cups sugar

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup oil
2/3 cup water
4 eggs
1 28 oz or 796 ml of pumpkin (See instructions for how to handle below) You can also use a can, but real pumpkin is so much better.












For the pumpkin:
Cut through the pumpkin and make a wide opening so that you can core it easily. Remove the seeds (and save them for my next recipe!) and keep as much of the centre as you can. Then, grab a sturdy spoon and carve out a good bit of pumpkin flesh until you have a bowl-ful. Place the pumpkin in a blender and add a bit of water. Blend until smooth (it took me about 3 to 4 minutes as you want to get rid of the stringiness.)

For the loaf:
Mix the dry ingredients well. Then, make a well in the middle and add combined wet ingredients. Stir until combined. Bake in two well-greased loaf pans at 350 F for 1 and a half hours. It might take a bit longer depending on the oven. A good test is to stick a knife or a skewer into the middle of the loaf. When it comes out clean, your loaf is ready. The reason I don't use a toothpick is because it doesn't reach far enough to catch the bottom.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 package cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted

With an electric mixer, blend the butter and cream cheese together well. Then, add the vanilla and blend well. Slowly add the sugar, one cup at a time. 5 cups of sugar will make it spread-worthy. If you want to use it for piping, then add another cup of confectioner's sugar.



2 comments:

  1. Wow Jaye, this sure looks yummy and I bet it smells so wonderful as it bakes!! I LOVE pumpkin bread and by adding the cream cheese frosting, it is over the top. Thanks for sharing and have a Happy Thanksgiving (and good luck with finals this semester!!)
    PS...thanks for your comment on my last Saucy Gourmet post, the salad is my "cheater" salad. Anything that is left in the fridge, in this case corn cut off the cob and avacado slices with Vidalia dressing purchased from Sam's Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it certainly didn't look like a cheater salad! And yes, this smells so good as it bakes!

    ReplyDelete